Heritage Resorts - Stories 2018 - Issue 2 - Page 42



|EXPERIENCE
WEDNESDAY
THE WILD SOUTH BY BIKE
8.30 AM. Laurent, from
Electro-bike Discovery, is
waiting for us at the Place du
Moulin in Bel Ombre. With
the itinerary revealed, we
ride our electric bikes for 35
km on the trails of the South
– where the less-known
pages of the island’s history
were written.
First stop, the Jacotet Bay.
In 1810, the English captain
Willoughby launched the
first assault against the
French here, just before the
famous Vieux Grand Port
battle – both failed attempts
– but that finally lead to the
victorious Cap Malheureux
confrontation, which allowed
the British to take possession
of the island.
After passing the beaches of
Saint Felix and Riambel, we
arrive at Souillac’s marine
cemetery, which dates back
to 1770. The graveyard
extends over several
hectares in front of the
untamed sea. This almost
mystical scene surely pleases
the famous Mauritian poet
Robert Edward Hart who
is buried there. After the
village of Surinam, we reach
the cliffs of Gris Gris, one
of Hart’s favourite places
to meditate. While visiting
La Nef, Hart’s old house,
we imagine how he must
have contemplated the
landscape while sitting at his
office desk.
Our next stop is the Telfair
Garden, named after Irish
doctor and botanist Charles
Telfair who helped develop
the island’s sugar industry.
A few metres further, is
the old train station which
now houses the post office;
the magistracy of Souillac
abandoned it following a
fire. Nearby, we also find
the Saint Jacques Church,
one of the oldest churches
on the island. As well as the
police station – many pass
this building without knowing
that its old blackened
stones were once home
to many slaves. Laurent is
disappointed that this part
of the building’s history is
neglected. More importance
should also be given to
Souillac’s old port, which was
among the only three on the
island with Port Louis and
Mahébourg, at the Grande
Rivière South East harbour,
from where sugar was
forwarded to the capital by
sea, and to the ruins of the
region’s sugar factory.
The sun is at its zenith. We
let ourselves be guided
by the spicy fragrances of
Mala’s cuisine. Our guide
is well known in the village.
Young and old greet him
happily, and Mala jumps into
his arms to greet him. She
arranged her lounge into a
dining room to comfortably
welcome us. In Mala’s smile,
we can feel the sincerity and
energy of someone who
celebrates life. Under her
instructions, we try to make
faratas, a flatbread loved by
the Mauritians. At the table,
there are three curries:
green banana, jackfruit and
butter bean. For a good
hour, we laugh and share
with our hosts.
3 PM. The day ends in the
gardens of Heritage Le
Château from where we
enjoy a breathtaking view.
W: electrobikemauritius.com
T: (230) 58 28 86 85
Mercredi, le Sud
sauvage à vélo
8 h 30. Laurent, d’Electrobike Discovery, nous attend
à la Place du Moulin à Bel
Ombre. L’itinéraire exposé,
nous enfourchons nos vélos
électriques pour une balade
de 35 km sur les sentiers du
Sud – là-même où des pages
moins connues de l’histoire
de l’île ont été écrites.
Première halte, la Baie de
Jacotet. En 1810, le capitaine
anglais Willoughby y lança
la première offensive contre
les Français, juste avant la
célèbre bataille de Vieux
Grand Port – toutes deux
malheureuses pour lui – et
l’affrontement victorieux
de Cap Malheureux qui
permettra aux Britanniques
de prendre possession de l’île.
En passant devant les plages
de Saint Félix et de Riambel,
nous arrivons au cimetière
marin de Souillac, datant
de 1770. Les sépultures
s’étendent sur des hectares
devant une mer indomptée.
Ce spectacle presque
mystique doit plaire au
célèbre poète mauricien
Robert Edward Hart qui y est
enterré. Après le village de
Surinam, nous atteignons les
falaises de Gris Gris, un des
lieux de méditation favoris
du grand homme. En visitant
la Nef, l’ancienne maison
de Hart, nous l’imaginons
à son bureau, contemplant
le paysage.
Prochain arrêt, le jardin
Telfair, qui doit son nom
au médecin et botaniste
40
irlandais Charles Telfair qui a
contribué au développement
de notre industrie sucrière.
Quelques mètres plus loin,
se trouvent l’ancienne gare
ferroviaire de la localité,
devenue bureau de poste,
la magistrature de Souillac
abandonnée à la suite
d’un incendie, l’église Saint
Jacques, l’une des plus
anciennes du pays, ainsi
que le poste de police. On
pourrait passer devant ce
dernier sans savoir que ses
vieilles pierres noircies ont
autrefois été le logement de
nombreux esclaves. Laurent
regrette que ce passé soit
relégué à l’anecdote. Plus
d’importance devrait aussi
être accordée à l’ancien port
de Souillac, qui comptait
parmi les trois seuls de
l’île avec Port Louis et
Mahébourg, au batelage de la
Grande Rivière Sud-Est, d’où
était acheminé le sucre vers
la capitale par voie maritime,
et aux ruines de l’usine
sucrière de la région.
Le soleil est au zénith. Nous
nous laissons guider par les
effluves épicés de la cuisine
de Mala. Notre guide est
bien connu dans le village.
Jeunes et moins jeunes le
saluent joyeusement et Mala
lui saute dans les bras pour
l’accueillir. Elle a aménagé
son salon en salle à manger
pour nous recevoir. Dans le
sourire de Mala, l’on devine
une sincérité et l’énergie de
ceux qui célèbrent la vie. Sous
ses instructions, nous nous
essayons à la préparation
de faratas, ces galettes dont
raffolent les Mauriciens. À
table, trois currys : banane
| HERITAGE RESORTS STORIES

Paperturn



Powered by


Full screen Click to read
Paperturn flip book system
Search
Overview
Download as PDF
Print
Shopping cart
Full screen
Exit full screen